Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Forgotten Garden - A book review

Okay so I love books, anyone who knows me knows this well. I'm always reading, I even carry a book in my purse. I have read some really good books and some not so great books too. There are books out there that I know I will probably not read - Anna Karenina ( sorry Liz) and 50 Shades of Grey (sorry everyone else) and there are books I've read that I'm sure not many other people have read. Rarely and I mean rarely does a book take me back to a time when I was first discovering the wonder of stories - after the struggle of learning to read (which was not an easy task, ask my parents). It's been along time since I felt like I could live in a book, dream about it even, until this week when I was reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton for book club on the suggestion of my Nana. Check it out at Chapters HERE
It has everything I love, a mystery, fairy tales, a set of twins ( I was really into twins when I discovered reading), a love story and even scrap booking. Best of all part of the book is set at the turn of the  last century, which use to be my all time favourite time period. It's the cross generational story of Rose and Eliza, Nell, and Cassandra. With out giving too much away here's what it is about.
Nell is only four years old when she is left on a boat headed to Australia by the Authoress. After a hit to the head Nell can't remember her name or her parents either. Once in Australia Nell is all alone with only a suitcase and no name and is taken in by the harbour master and his wife. Her world is shattered on her 21st birthday when the harbour master tells her that he is not her father but it is not until after his death and the arrival of her suitcase does Nell go in search of her identity. It takes her to England and the small Cliff Cottage. After purchasing the cottage Nell intends to return to England to put the rest of the pieces together. Once back in Australia, Nell's travel plans are interrupted with the arrival of her granddaughter Cassandra and she never goes back. After Nell's death Cassandra receives the deed to the little cottage and makes her way to England to put the final pieces together.
This was one of the best books I have read all year. I'm so glad Nana suggested it. So as the Brownies say "One good turn deserves another," I'm passing it on to you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment